Choosing the best government official is important as the welfare of the nation depends on them. Every election time, voters are left with the most important decision. However, with so many choices, how can a voter make sure that he/she is choosing the best candidate? To narrow down your choice, you have to do the following:
· Know what you are looking for in a candidate – as a voter, you have to think beforehand what you want in a candidate. You have to consider the leadership qualities and the position he/she takes on some of the relevant issues in society. As with the leadership quality, you have to think of the characteristics an effective leader should have such as honesty, intelligence, and integrity.
· Know the candidate in a deeper level – it is important to know the candidates in a deeper level such as their family background, educational background, and their morals. Follow the candidates in their campaign talks, candidate speeches, and debates. Watching ads on the television and radio are okay too, but you get to know more about the candidate’s ability to lead the country by looking at the track record.
· Know the candidate’s stand on issues – It is a must to know the candidate’s stand on issues, especially the national issues and the issues you are most interested in. you most likely know the candidate’s moral and principle by simply looking at their stand on issues that matter the most.
· Know the candidate’s leadership ability – This is one of the difficult parts of choosing a candidate. Determining the leadership potential can be quite difficult, but you can somehow gauge it by looking at the political background and experience. What is the track record of the candidate? Did he accomplish something in the past? Was he able to help the community? Is he active in helping others, especially when it comes to national interest? Does the candidate accept speaking engagement? Does he look like sympathetic and has empathy for others? There are a lot of things that need to be known about the candidate. As a responsible citizen of the nation, you have to do your part or else you will end up with a candidate that is not honest and trustworthy.
· Learn how others view the candidate – Politics is a tricky industry. Many people vote on popularity and most of the time the popular wins. As a smart and responsible voter, you have to consider the views of others about a particular candidate. It might not be your basis of choosing a candidate but at least you have an insight as to whether you are making the right decision or not. By taking into consideration the opinion of others, you will know if you need to do more research about a particular candidate or it is about time to ditch that candidate and choose someone else.
Choosing the best candidate is a daunting task but it is a process that every voter should have to go through. After all, the welfare of the nation is at stake.